nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Fall Transplanting/ Spring Transplanting

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Fall Transplanting/ Spring Transplanting
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:27:52 -0500

I am in zone 6. I have transplanted both blueberries and currants in
spring and fall. I agree with Ed, and would strongly recommend fall
planting for currants. (I did let St. Lawrence Nurseries talk me into a
spring shipment, but it may well cost me a year of growth.) They sprout
very early, and seem to de better if they've had the winter to settle.
20% more growth may be an understatement. Also, my currants seem to be
"done" for the year fairly early. I have transplanted late summer with
good results. I cut off all of the leaves and some of the twigs when I
did this.

The blueberries seem to do about the same either way. I didn't get a
lot of growth from any of my blueberries the first year, spring or fall
planted. I got much more growth the second year. I didn't have any
winter mortality from the fall planted ones, either. Mine are in a
location that doesn't get much sun in the winter, so heaving isn't a big
problem.

Ginda