nafex - Re: [nafex] Seed variation, apple

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seed variation, apple
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:08:35 -0700

It does depend on the parents. Some will give a high percentage of decent
sized, useable apples. Some will give a lot of small fruited (crabapple)
size types. Then there's the annoying tendency to get a great apple that
bears miniscule crops. Still, if the chance seedlings seen around here are
any example (and there are a LOT of them in western Oregon), odds are good
you will get something worth growing for SOME use.

----------
>From: edforest55@hotmail.com
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Seed variation, apple
>Date: Wed, Oct 18, 2000, 3:47 PM
>

>Jim,
>I don't quite understand the botanical terms yet but do much
>appreciate you including them and even more so the examples, my
>comment is this: even though the chances are very small that crossing
>most apples will result in an offspring equal to its parent, or even
>of producing apples of comparable quality, I have heard that crosses
>of good quality domestic apples will have a good chance of producing
>edible and tasty apples, that is that they don't usually revert to
>totally inedible apples. Would appreciate feedback from those who
>have been experimenting with this.
>Kevin B

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/15/_/423498/_/971910325/