nafex - Re: [nafex] Pastuerizing Cider

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pastuerizing Cider
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:28:13 -0400

Hi,

Here I am answering my own post, after I had to scramble getting an answer.  Of course I waited till I had the 12 quart pot on the stove.  I figured others may be able to use the information too.

According to the Ministry of Health, of British Columbia, Canada;

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/hlthfile/hfile72.html#hf72005

How to pasteurize apple juice for home storage...

If you prepare juices at home, the following steps will help make the juice safe:

  1.Make sure you get your unpasteurized juice from an operation which follows the "Code of Practice for the Production and Distribution of Unpasteurized Apple and Other Fruit Juices/Cider in Canada", which is published by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). You can read this code on the Internet, at:

www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/english/plaveg/processed/codee.shtml.

  2.Ascorbic acid may be added to prevent the juice from darkening. Ascorbic acid and instructions for use are available from wine- making shops.

  3.Remove pulp, if desired, by adding a pectic enzyme. After settling overnight, siphon the clear juice into another container for heating. Pectic enzymes are also available at wine-making shops.

  4.Pasteurize the juice using a double-boiler. Heat the juice to about 80º C (176º F), stirring frequently. Keep it at 80º C for at least 2 minutes. This will make sure that all E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria, as well as other organisms (moulds, etc.) are destroyed.

  5.Pour the juice into clean, preheated bottles. Seal with new caps. The bottles must be preheated to prevent them from breaking due to heat shock.

  6.This juice should keep a fairly long time if poured into bottles while it is still hot. The heat will destroy airborne yeast and mould. If the juice is bottled after it has cooled down, it will have a limited shelf-life, even if it is refrigerated.

NOTE: Research shows that almost all E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria (99.99%) are killed by heating apple juice to at least 60º C (140º F) for 2 minutes. Less acidic juices (such as carrot or watermelon juice) or high pulp juices should be heated to a higher temperature (at least 70º C) for 2 minutes.

Hope this helps others who may find themselves pasteuring for the first time.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Olenio wrote:

Hello Group,

Can anyone tell me to what temperature, and for how long it takes to
pastuerize cider?

A very sad year for our cider apples.

Thanks,
Tom

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/15/_/423498/_/971220500/

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

eGroups Sponsor

  • Re: [nafex] Pastuerizing Cider, Tom Olenio, 10/10/2000