nafex - [nafex] Pawpaw Report

  • From: Tom Volkening <volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@egroups.com'" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pawpaw Report
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:38:27 -0400

I have not contributed much to the list or Pomona in year I have been a
member of NAFEX and I hope this report is of some interest.

I live about ten miles from Lansing, Michigan in zone 5. I planted my two
trees about 9 years ago and the trees are now about 8 feet tall. They have
been bearing fruit for three years. The trees are from Corwin Davis here in
Michigan. I think they are seedlings. The fruit from these trees are
different in size and ripen about a week apart with the tree producing the
larger fruit ripen later.

Today was my day to pick pawpaw. I also picked up a few fruit last week
that dropped or been blown down.

I picked 35 fruit with a total weight of a little over 18 pounds from one
tree. The 3 largest fruit from the tree averaged about 1 pound per fruit.
The average weight of the fruit from this tree was a little over 8 ounces.
This seems like a decent yield.

I picked 32 fruit from the other tree with a total weight of about 7.5 lbs.
The largest fruit weighed 9 ounces. The average weight of the fruit was
about 4 ounces.

I tried something new this year to improve pollination. I purchased two
hang up fly traps that contained an attractant. I soaked a pieces of cloth
with the attractant and wrapped one piece cloth around a branch in each
tree. I don't know if this improved pollination or not but I thought it was
worth trying.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Librarian
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1226
Phone 517-432-1498
Fax 517-353-9041
Email volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu
volkenin@egr.msu.edu

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone. For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9534/15/_/423498/_/971221097/