nafex - [nafex] Re: Apple Recommendations

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Apple Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:36:01 -0000

HoneyCrisp - Only tasted one - but when I liked it and my wife (at an
apple tasting, after tasting *many* apples) said - "this is the one I
like!" I bought a tree (Thanks Ed Fackler!).

Gala - from the store *and* fresh off the tree, sweet & juicy

Fuji - Crisp, sweet, but w/ a backbone of flavor.

Esopus spitzenburg - complex and good.

Empire - which used to be in stores and now I can't find (and when it
was in the store last year - they had gone bad.)

You also might want to check out www.applesource.com. In the site
there's a listing of favorite apples. They're broken out by tart,
balanced, and sweet.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@t...> wrote:
> I may be writing a small book on the best tasting apples. I'll
have to
> limit the selection to about 30 varieties. All you apple experts
and
> growers out there, how about your recommendations for the best
tasting
> apple?
>
> I've already started to photograph some apples--Black Gilliflower
(which
> tasted great), Cox's Orange Pippin, Wolf River (a bit too tart for
my taste,
> but good flavor) and Prairie Spy. I will include Esopus
Spitzenberg (my
> absolute favorite), Hudson's Golden Gem and Pitsmaston Pineapple.
All three
> are winners in my opinion. Let's hear yours.
> Doreen Howard
> Zone 4-b--Wisconsin

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9335/15/_/423498/_/970148171/