nafex - [nafex] Re: Maypops (Passiflora incarnata)

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Maypops (Passiflora incarnata)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:57:37 -0000

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/7102/15/_/423498/_/969026263/

I would be interested in a MayPop interest group.

I too am interested in growing and breeding the maypop for its edible
fruit (have been growing it for 6-7 years, but have become
discouraged in the last few years and distracted by other
interests).

MayPop is hardy in zone 6, but does not appear to naturally propagate
itself in PA (since Passiflora seem to need heat to sprout, my
suspicion is that it does not get hot enough, long enough for
growth.) although they DO spread.

I have not found the species samples that I've obtained to be all
that delicious, and had not found a good way to process it.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

I did succeed in a cross-"species" breeding of P. Incense X
incarnata, but either the seeds were sterile, or I mishandled them
and they did not sprout (I suspect they needed stratification, and I
did not do that). One of my frustrations has been trying to winter
over non-MayPop plant (can do it but the plants are less than healthy
by the end of winter).

There is an international Passiflora listserv I recently withdrew
from (non-egroup).

Let me know what you want to do.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, Christopher McGuire <cmmcguire@s...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am very interested in growing and breeding the maypop for its
edible fruit
> (Passiflora incarnata). The maypop is a perennial vine native to
the
> southeastern U.S. and is related to the more tropical
passionfruit. It bears a