nafex - [nafex] Peaches

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Peaches
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:11:28 -0000

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9146/15/_/423498/_/968688692/

3 years ago I put in my "nursery" bed two Siberian C peach
rootstocks. (I have since learned that Lovell as a rootstock is
probably superior, but at the time I was interested anything that was
even slightly dwarfing).

That fall I didn't get budding done (don't remember the reason)

The next fall I didn't get budding done due to the birth of my twin
sons.

This fall doesn't look likely either, plus I'm worried about possible
(though unlikely) Plum Pox from local sources. I know of one source
that ships budwood, but I'm concerned about the shipping distance and
viability. I now have 7 - 8' tall trees.

So...

Question 1: Although budding is considered better for peaches, Can
they be dormant (i.e. whip & tongue) grafted? Are there any special
techniques to use if it can be done?

Question 2: Since the "rootstocks" are now so large, would it be
better to move them to their permanent locations in fall? In spring?
or after I've grafted the following fall?

Question 3: Varieties. I was leaning toward two varieties, One white
(for fresh eating [I know the white's are generally more vunerable,
but I think they taste the best]), one yellow (for possible canning &
fresh eating). I generally like freestone, particularly for the
possible canning one. (I could also be convinced to graft two
varieties on each tree - one possibly a nectarine as my wife hates
peach fuzz). And it would be nice if the trees had attractive bloom
(which many peaches do not) as they will be visible from the house.

Varieties I've thought about:
White:
Rariton Rose: Freestone, winter hardy
Belle of Georgia
White Hale

Yellow:
Redhaven
Reliance: hardy, showy blossoms, stringy? :-(

Nectarine?

Any recommendations you would have would be welcome. If you have
budwood from healthy trees (and are not from South Central PA or
North Central Maryland) I would be glad to pay $1-2 per bud stick.

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

  • [nafex] Peaches, Christopher Mauchline, 09/11/2000