nafex - Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:54:51 +0000

There was a woman in Tenn that was killed by a bear this spring. I have saved
both news stories on my computer. (Some of you may know that I have a limited
experience dealing with bears while 'exploring'.) While both of these attacks
'appeared to be unprovoked' I am a firm believer that what we consider
'unprovoked' and what a sow w/cub considers 'unprovoked' are two different
things. Anyway, in the absence of a strong fencing system including dogs
(within), my best idea would be to see if local game authorities are willing
trap and relocate bears. This would have to be a situation, though, that is
justified by potential income loss or a real safety threat. If only a few
trees
are threatened, dogs penned in or staked out with trees are not to be
underestimated as a deterrent provided they are serious about their job. This
is not your typical pet. For safety's sake, whenever bears could show up, be
noisy, be alert, give them what they want most - a chance to avoid you!
Vic in northern NH (41 degrees this AM)

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/423498/_/964101229/