nafex - Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bears in orchards
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:08:39 -0700

Claude,

My guess is that the fishing line will not be effective.

People out here spend hours, weeks, and years trying to deter black bears.
The
problem is their big size (relative to a deer, racoon, or squirrel). They
just
push their way to the trees and push the trees over to get at the apples. If
the
tree is big enough, they climb it and sometimes break branches to get at the
apples.

The other problem is that they do this before the apples are ripe, so you
can't
just pick the apples a few days before they ripen.

It will be interesting to see what solutions come from Nafexers ... other
than a
gun, or as well as a gun. Maybe a yappy dog, if you can stand the yapping.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316