nafex - Re: [nafex] plum seedlings

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] plum seedlings
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:14:58 -0700

I suspect the other answer you got was right - it is probably a Damson type.
Damsons are very hardy, and they are the same species (P. insititia) as the
St. Julian rootstocks, so you should be able to use the suckers for stock,
if you need it. Damsons tend to produce seedlings that resemble the parent
pretty closely, so it was common to grow them from seed in the old days, but
they sucker a lot too, so it's easy to get a start that way.
-Lon
----------
>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] plum seedlings
>Date: Thu, Jun 8, 2000, 6:45 PM
>

>To Lon Rombough:
>I love these in depth answers! I have just the tree to try the grafting on. I
>had to move a plum that I received from a friend. She said it suckered freely
>and was always giving them away. This plum is a purple prune type but has not
>had a chance to fruit for me. My German Shepherd's cable run stretched a bit
>this winter and he got tangled in it quite a few times. I lost four well
>placed
>limbs and only managed to save one which had blooms, and which I later
>elected
>to prune off when we moved the tree in an attempt to save it. It has already
>begun producing new shoots in response to canine intervention. This tree has
>accepted grafts, one of which is now my leader, so I think the new shoots
>this
>year should be nice to work on in a year or two. Any idea what the sucker
>tree
>could be this far north? It's been in the area for years.
>
>Thanks.......Vic

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
experiments.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4051/0/_/423498/_/960523953/