nafex - [nafex] plum seedlings

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] plum seedlings
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:07:53 +0000

Hi,
Victoria Caron (Zone 3) here wondering if anyone has grown plum
seedlings. I started a few in the fall of '97 from Shiro, Mont Royal and
one that I think is Toka. Eleven sprouted from about twenty seeds and I
am down to five. Only one is growing like it wants to be a tree. Three
are bushy and I can't seem to get them to GROW UP! The last one doesn't
seem to know what it wants to be, crooked, lopsided and dwarfish.
Since the Shiro and Mont Royal were growing near small native yellow
plums which tend to shrubiness, that may be my problem with the three
that insist on branching at the base and refuse to train into a central
leader. Does anyone have any ideas or experience that might get these to
grow like trees, or am I most likely stuck with shrubs?
Also, I know this is a fruit group, but I want to try growing
lentils 'just because' and all I can find on them says nothing about the
size of the plant. I have a suitable site and soil, but don't know if
they will need support or to what height. Anyone know?
Thanks

Vic
ps: it was 34 F here this morning!

Go to Expedia.com to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends,
$15,000 and a suite at Bellagio for New Year's. Or win 2 roundtrip
tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click here for a chance win.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5295/0/_/423498/_/960473387/