nafex - Re: [nafex] plum seedlings

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] plum seedlings
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 09:02:17 -0700

The shrubby trees are almost certainly from crosses of Shiro and Toka with
the wild plum, while the crooked, lopsided one may be from Mt. Royal. The
shrubby habit is dominant, so the seedlings probably won't grow up. Two
have a "standard" (like a tree rose), or if you want to continue the
experiment, graft small limbs of each to your Shiro to see what the fruit is
like. Remove all but the best (probably will have one best, if that) and
grow seedlings of that. Grafted to Shiro it will cross with it and you
should get some tree-type plants in those seedlings.
The one twisted one, probably from Mt. Royal, most likely has an unbalanced
number of chromosomes. Most plums have 16, but European plums (like Mt.
Royal) have 48, so a cross of Mt. Royal with the wild will give one with 32,
which will be unbalanced. The twisty tree has value as a dwarf rootstock,
and I know bonsai enthusiasts who would love it, too.
Lentils don't have to have support, but it helps. Picture a vetch plant
with thicker stems - that's close to how they grow.

-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] plum seedlings
>Date: Thu, Jun 8, 2000, 2:07 PM
>

>Hi,
> Victoria Caron (Zone 3) here wondering if anyone has grown plum
>seedlings. I started a few in the fall of '97 from Shiro, Mont Royal and
>one that I think is Toka. Eleven sprouted from about twenty seeds and I
>am down to five. Only one is growing like it wants to be a tree. Three
>are bushy and I can't seem to get them to GROW UP! The last one doesn't
>seem to know what it wants to be, crooked, lopsided and dwarfish.
> Since the Shiro and Mont Royal were growing near small native yellow
>plums which tend to shrubiness, that may be my problem with the three
>that insist on branching at the base and refuse to train into a central
>leader. Does anyone have any ideas or experience that might get these to
>grow like trees, or am I most likely stuck with shrubs?
> Also, I know this is a fruit group, but I want to try growing
>lentils 'just because' and all I can find on them says nothing about the
>size of the plant. I have a suitable site and soil, but don't know if
>they will need support or to what height. Anyone know?
> Thanks
>
> Vic
>ps: it was 34 F here this morning!

>Go to Expedia.com to win airfare to Vegas for you and 20 friends,
>$15,000 and a suite at Bellagio for New Year's. Or win 2 roundtrip
>tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click here for a chance win.

Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
experiments.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4051/0/_/423498/_/960480110/