nafex - [nafex] mulching

  • From: Carolyn Wood <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex chat <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] mulching
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 00:27:13 +0000

While it is true that a heavy mulch will prevent the absorption and
radiation of solar energy by the soil, maybe this isn't all bad.
I have used heavy mulches in my gardens on plants that tend to push
too early in our fickle spring weather. It seems that the plants that
are mulched become active later and so avoid getting brutally frozen by
20 deg temps in May when a little radiation of heat by the soil isn't
going to make a difference anyway.
Am I crazy or does the temperature of the soil affect the timing of
bud break? I am also guessing that a heavy mulch keeps many roots from
suckering because of the lack of sunlight in the upper root zone. This
is just a hunch.
Do some of the more educated folks on the list know about this?

surrounded by mormons in utah, Bob

22,345,678 matches to your search term?
Inforocket.com is the fast way to the right answer - guaranteed.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4521/0/_/423498/_/959667664/