msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR Teams

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR MSAR Teams
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:22:50 -0400

I believe there a few states where NASAR certificates are mandated or accepted.  Those states that do have mandates for training generally develop their own courses.

We base out training on the ASTM published standards but Pennsylvania has no legally mandated requirements for wilderness searchers other than those of the PA Health Department that are pending at the organizational level and these do not apply to fire suppression organizations that search as a collateral duty.

The Commonwealth is NIMS compliant so we do require all applicants to complete the FEMA on line course or attend a NIMS training session before they are classed as responders.  They are not allowed to work alone or lead a task until they have demonstrated the required skills and knowledge to do so safely. At higher levels, task leader, section leader, ICS function lead, capabilities must be demonstrated as well as graduating from the appropriate class.

Being able to do it in the field is the final certification.  Many go to class and many score well on classroom tests but not everyone has the innate talent to run a mission.

I only know of one NASAR member in our team.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR