msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] planning

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] planning
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:54:19 -0400

You can’t get a guy busted for drunk riding around here either, but public intoxication is a summary offense at least and drunk carriage driving is treated like any other DWI. The problem is enforcing the suspension of driving privileges since you don’t need a license to drive a buggy and many don’t care if their car driving license is suspended for underage possession either. Carrying alcohol in any park is illegal without an event permit, or at a restaurant.

What is amazing is how many event planners neglect any emergency planning at all or they plan for horses but not people or people and not horses.  Every competitive horse event should have a plan and resources available to carry out that plan.  Even on a 2-3 hour chase type ride we check off every rider at every road crossing so we know around what segment the rider went off course or went down.  We try to have a mounted responder available with a radio, we always have a 4x4 with an EMT who rides, and the locals are told of the event so if the dispatch center gets called directly they know what is going on.  We started this procedure for a 50 mile ECTRA event that only came close to a road at the vet stops.  Never lost a rider or a horse.

Used to use these events as the final exam for the search manager course—a newly graduated  manager got to carry out the plan, and I got to go in the field for a change.

Irv Lichtenstein