msar-riders - [MSAR] From the hilarious to not so.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] From the hilarious to not so.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:10:04 -0700 (PDT)

This might not be MSAR but its really good for a laugh if you are considering buying  or even selling a horse.

Puts a new spin on BUYER BEWARE!  Or is that seller beware?   I dont know but it gets you coming and going!

TRUE FACTS:

No matter what the breed, they are a lot easier to buy then sell.

No matter what price you put on your horse, everyone else will have a difference of opinion.

Getting on  a more serious note...

AN OPEN LETTER TO UNA:
Una,  Your refugee goats would be fine to bring too, but have you thought though on interstate papers for them too?  Most animals in travel need something.  Going just a few miles down the road is one thing, but if you end up having to move even further, several states away, is another situation.    While getting the papers might not be feasible thing to do in case of a hurry up and get out evacuation due to fire, having the animals current on what they need would be beneficial for your list of  barns of flight, but what if the barn you wanted is full and you end up moving on?   Some barns requirements may vary as well.
At our barn we actually do require a written boarding contract for all critters even for temporary situations.  You may want to ask your plight of flight barns for the same as not too many can board for free even on a favor and favor boarding or visiting can get sticky because not all friends are prepared with insurance for unexpected guests and such.. even in emergencies.
Your  situation raises a lot of questions on what to do if you are in this situation and what the refugee barns and the refuges need in desperate times as things can get really rough in the event the barn and home you leave is lost and you then are faced with longer than expected temporary housing for yourself and your animals and in which case going to friends might not be the best option for fear of relation strains.
Seems to me a good idea a refugee horse or animal owner needs is to get tight with places they might take flight to to avoid even more headaches in a tense situation.   While the places of refuge may be eager at first to take refugees in, they are not always able to do it for free nor for long term.  You have to continue to think outside your box in desperate times.  What would you do if?  You never know when the if will become a given.  And here again, who are you gonna call to do a house call if you are called away and need a critter sitter!
Chances are most people if flooded or burned out of a home and barn have very little time to consider their options.  People in flood plains are often stranded on the outside looking in trying to get to their home if the river say rises and they have left and are coming back and finding they are having to evacuate.  The large animals in flooded areas can be a huge problem to evacuate especially if the owners have more than they can reasonably handle to begin with.  Most private horse owners have dogs and cats, maybe chickens and other fauna too.  Then all you are  left with are more unpleasant choices of who do you take with and who do you leave behind if you have to leave some behind.  Not a good situation at all as some folks in my area found a couple of years ago when our area was declared a disaster from the flooding.  One person having to evacuate say 30 head can get to be a big problem in a heartbeat!
Your situation has given way to other thoughts where a refugee situation may arise and be not neccesarily limited to just a fire or flood or similiar disaster.  A refugee situation can stem from many things like maybe a spouse or partner passes, or a divorce, a domestic violence situation occurs, or other abuse,  hording, becoming disabled or ill, or simply just getting old. From a boarding stand point things can get intense depending on the reason the refugee may have to move and in which case the very comments "I have to move in a hurry" becomes a  tense debate with the stable owner since its one thing to be a good Sam, but far another to get caught in the middle of a domestic violence dispute.The stable owner needs to be asking then WHY such a hurry and beware as people do lie especially in domestic violence situations when they are on the run.  They are not to eager to spill their beans.
There are a lot of nice animals already in humane societies or caught in really bad situations because owners do not think enough ahead to plan for situations such as these and often people are trapped when adversity strikes or they overbreed or find themselves in deplorable conditions or have 1001 other reasons why they should have to liquidate or give animals away and in todays depressed market, even giving animals away is tough.  Simply failing to estate  plan can put any horse owner in a poor condition.  To say non the less for the animals who end up suffering abuse in the process.
Sadly, I often wonder about people in domestic issues where so many women in particular should leave their abusers, but are so trapped becasue they have animals....Just how does one leave their abuser when they are trapped becasue they cannot leave their animals or children for that matter even if it is the smart thing to do? But I guess thats a topic for another time.  I would hope that they would be smart and not risk their lives living with someone beating them and find a way to get out before things get too ugly.  The are places for those women to go, but they are terrified to get to them  and it could be not worth risking a life for the sake of the animal.
Well, anyway, Una, your situation sparked these corners too,  so maybe others would take the time and care enough to think.
Hope your well and the fires of your area are not lapping at your door.  But you are welcome to come if you need to come this far, just give me a call.  As someone else likes to say, we'll leave a light on for you.  We are still able to offer you  a port in the storm.  Keep us posted.
      Karen Nesbitt - VMSAR - Iroqouis County, Illinois