msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Laurie Hanahan" <lhanahan@mindspring.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:33:43 -0500

My retired QH has been barefoot her entire life, in all types of terrain with no problems.  Although I would love to do the same with my search horse, that isn’t possible since her feet are just not the same as my QH.  So it’s shoes w/borium studs all around, all year long.  Borium due to rocky mountain terrain and asphalt in urban situations.  Haven’t had too much trouble w/snowballs but we don’t get the same amount of snowfall in central VA as some other areas of the country.  When I lived in snowy parts of the country, pads were also added.

I tried several types of boots in the past but decided instead to stick w/shoes on that particular horse.  I do carry 2 easy boots in case we lose a shoe (horse needs a different size on the front and rear).

Laurie Hanahan

TROTSAR