msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Steve de Lyra" <stevd@windstream.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:17:44 -0500

Hey Emily,

Thanks for your note.  We have our kick-off meeting on Thursday, 10 DEC at 7:00 pm.  We are very excited about learning how much local interest we have.  The response from across the country has been great thanks to the MSAR e-mail list.  Let's see how the meeting goes.  Anyone who gets this e-mail who can get to Dawsonville, Georgia for the evening of 10 DEC is most welcome.  We can find places to put you up - unless 50 of y'all show up!

I hear what you are saying about shoes protecting the hoof.  One thought I have always had when I hear this is that the shoe only protects the bearing surface of hoof wall, but the rest of the contact area of the hoof is not protected.

My inclination is to put a good pair of boots on the front hooves only, but I am open minded about this and looking for more input.

I have been told that a horse is not ready to go barefoot unless it has never had shoes to begin with, or you allow one full growth from the coronary border on down.

Thanks again for your comments.

Steve