msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Signa Strom" <signastrom@gmail.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horses hooves
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:59:46 -0500

Steve,

You’re right, this is a hugely controversial topic.  My personal opinion is that barefoot is better for the health of the hoof and the horse – however, it raises some huge issues, and I know them all first hand since all four of my horses are barefoot and we compete in endurance (50 – 75 miles in a day) as well as do extensive trail riding.  If I could ride over all terrain barefoot there wouldn’t be an issue, but our area tends to be wet much of the year so the hooves do not get as tough as they need to be which means we require some sort of protection much of the time.  My experience is that boots work great (when they are the right shape and size for your particular horse) when walking and trotting – but the slip on boots tend to interfere or come off at the canter and gallop. Some boots don’t work at all in muddy swampy areas however, so that must be taken into consideration if that’s the environment you’ll run into.  Glue on boots are fantastic as they stay on and don’t interfere, but require some experience to work correctly and they can be a huge pain to remove – and if left on too long are not good for the hoof.

If neither barefoot or boots suits you, but you want another option, you can make go middle ground; synthetic shoes are better than metal for hoof health but not as healthy as going barefoot.  When applied correctly they last as long (but most of the time longer) than metal and they encourage healthy hoof growth, frog and sole growth.  EponaShoe, Ground Control shoes, and Easywalker shoes have all been used with great results – but some Ferries don’t do a great job putting them on, so it requires that you have one who understands and cares about applying them correctly.  If the Ferrier doesn’t see the value in them they won’t do the quality job you need to get good results.

If you want any more information let me know….we’ve been struggling through the obstacles of barefoot management and alternative hoof protection for a few years now so we might be able to save you some hassle by helping you avoid common pitfalls.

Signa Strom in PA