msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Hazards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Hazards
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:04:50 -0700

Thorns and cactus spines I generally don't worry about. We
have plenty of them but rarely are they a problem.

I have had the extremely unpleasant experience of impaling my
foot on a thorn, right through the sole of my hiking boot. I
could not remove the boot. A pliers was required to pull out
the thorn. Multi-tool, I love you.

Woven wire fencing, including chain link, is hazardous to
shod horses but not barefoot horses. Trouble comes when the
heels or clips of the shoe snag in the fencing. A good whoa
on the horse can avert a major wreck. For that reason, I
like a SAR horse to be not only rope broke but hobble broke.