msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Hazards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Hazards
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:51:01 -0500

Good points, thanks for sharing.

I remember letting my horse drink out of a lake and he came up with a fishhook dangling about three inches below his lip.  The line had gotten tangled on his bit. Another time we got caught up in surveyor's chord that had fallen down and gotten covered by long grass. In both instances, he held when I said, 'ho'...a very useful command that covers a lot of situations, so I could take care of the problem.

There are different issues for suburbs, where we are in parks where there may be hazmat spills, glass, etc., versus the rural areas where there are the farm equipment, and animal concerns.