msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] [SAR-L] Transport decision tree / Helo Decision trees and guides

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <Jorene@CEOates.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] [SAR-L] Transport decision tree / Helo Decision trees and guides
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 22:38:50 -0400

Compared to Los Angeles County or even Orange County Fire Departments our
air assets are limited. LA County Fire operates one of the largest air
forces in the world, closely matched by the LA Sheriff. Orange County just
took delivery of two new from the factory Bell 412's, while retaining 2
UH-1's as backups. You have additional forces available from active duty
bases and Coast Guard Stations as well as other city and county assets, such
as brush crews and tractor crews.

It may sound like we have a lot of resources here but on a per resident
basis you probably have more transportation or medical units in your state
than we do. Because of the dearth of trauma centers in the burbs most of
our birds are either on auto accidents or farm accidents all the time. One
is committed to inter hospital transfers period, never to be diverted to a
scene. Other than 2 New Jersey State Police units none of the city or state
police copters do medical evacuation. Maryland also has double duty
helicopters, around 3 I believe. The Coast Guard comes from Cape May, NJ or
Floyd Bennett Field, NYC. Two birds must remain available in Cape May at
all times (out of 3 HH65's on the station). The USCG is the only hoist
equipped and water rescue equipped unit in the area. Luckily we do not have
mountains over 5000 feet because the Marine and Navy heavy lift and medium
lift reserves have been decommissioned. Even the TV stations have reduced
their fleets and replaced cabin space with remotely operated cameras, and no
lights.

We have guidelines for requesting a medical helicopter assist, as stated in
the previous post. They are not always the fastest ride to arrive but
sometimes they are the only way to get ALS personnel on the scene. We also
have strict guidelines on weather and visibility, thus limiting the urge to
go when it can be fatal to do so.

Using a helicopter is a medical decision, and that is how we operate. The on
scene medical commander makes the decision and the dispatch center finds
one. Is he always right? Of course not, but he doesn't have x-ray vision
either. We may be closer to civilization than you are but that doesn't mean
we don't have the same extrication problems. Right now, if I put a simple
fracture of the arm in the saddle I would be subject to the most strenuous
review of the case you have ever seen. Even if the alternative was carry
out by hand or Gator that took hours longer. Accepted practice and the risk
of further injury is what count. Put them in a Stokes and pack them out on
a pack horse or behind in a travois, but not in the saddle.

Irv Lichtenstein