msar-riders - [MSAR] Frying phones....

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Frying phones....
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:32:39 -0700 (PDT)

Responding to:

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:50:59 -0400
From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Best Cell phone....
To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Lithium batteries have a tendency to burn up if there is any contamination
in the cell. Since they contain oxidizers they cannot be put out by
conventional extinguishment

techniques. NiCd will rarely short out but if they do the entire charge will
be dumped and the unit usually melts.

Irv Lichtenstein
Thanks Irv for that info.  At one point I was actually told by the phone service that they had issues with the rectangular flat  lith batteries that are in many phones.  This is the type that was in mine that fried..  The first time it happened the phone actually did get so hot I could no longer hold it.  I also had an issue with a wall charger that overheated.  The charger got so hot, I was very fortuneate to have checked on it, pulled the plug immediately and good thing it was not let go over a prolonged period of charge time.  As I went to pull the plug from the wall, it was too hot to handle and had to pull it by the cord.

Keeping a cell phone clean in a dirty environment when you work outside and with livestock can be a problem.

The last phone I replaced that got hot was only 3 weeks old.  Hardly used at the time and received brand new.  Had the lith rectangular flat battery as well.

Getting caught in the rain is an issue too.  I try to keep a ziploc sandwich baggie on me when I know its going to rain, but that too is not always possible.  I am almost thinking just the heat from the body can cause the phones to overheat as well.

Hope you and the black are handling the heat ok.
        Karen

  • [MSAR] Frying phones...., Karen Nesbitt, 06/20/2009