msar-riders - [MSAR] Regarding Lindas Henry

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Regarding Lindas Henry
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

You have my compassion on the loss of your Henry.   While I thoroughly understand the business end of having horses having been a breeder for many years, I also understand that how these animals become family.  Our oldie is a goodie.  I am content to have her in the pasture with her grandkids and she can live out her natural days with her comrades.

Ours was best of breed in endurance, many times qualifyier for Nationals, excellent breeder, did western, pleasure, gamed, Msar, parades, demos you name it she did it.  Gave more rides to countless number of kids and college students studying equine studies,  and a blessing of a Paso for this old woman with bad knees! She will be missed.

I also understand the issue of the salebarn and horse meat.  The lack of the killer market has turned some areas sales auction barns into "pony" mills.  They are a dumping ground for unwanted horses going into the mainstream and there can be a lot of issues on them.   Many people cannot bury their horses and that market was an out for them to dispose of their "pet".  Something the folks that imposed the elimination of slaugher houses that they did not think of and why we need them.  Then to give everyone another issue in how other to dispose. Funny too how another issue has arose and I hear a lot of dog owners having allergies because they cannot get canine food with meat in it.     Disrupted the natural order of things a but didnt it.

First time owners can be easily suckered at these sales barns getting caught in the heat of the bid.  They do not examine the horses throughly enough and oft times are very disappointed.  Not the best choice in buying a first horse, no less a horse that might be inteneded for MSAR and horses have as a rule alwasy been harder to sell than they are to buy.  And with the lousy economy, the horse market has been horrible for years even on good quality horses and giving them away... hmmm,  some people cannot even afford a free horse.

Whether you use the horse for business or pleasure, the issue of the inevitable always  comes into play.  Sometimes planning for a beginning means planning for the end.

IN our case we are fortuneate to be able to allow the horse to live out its life.  She has a place to die.  Others do not have that choice because they board and then rendering is their option.  The issues of where to bury can be many.   Chosing a proper site, approval and such..etc.

Well, mate, again my compassion for your loss to Rainbw Bridge.

Karen

  • [MSAR] Regarding Lindas Henry, Karen Nesbitt, 06/21/2009