msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] effectiveness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] effectiveness
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:07:52 -0600

Speaking of endurance rides, I know a retired ultra runner who has
competed in the Vermont 100, an annual 100 mile one-day (day and
night) combined footrace and ride. He says the runners typically
finish ahead of the horses.

Having searched on foot and on horseback, I can say that when on
horseback I am able to devote far more attention to searching
because generally I do not need to look where I am going. That
was not always true. As a beginning rider I, like many beginners,
had to learn not to micromanage my horse.