msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding horse during a mission (Was: Still here)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding horse during a mission (Was: Still here)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:20:05 -0600

Lila Corey wrote:
>I was thinking out all night?

Well, my first thought is that a novice SAR responder probably
is not qualified to search at night. Also, in some jurisdictions
searches are suspended at night. In both of those cases, at most
your team would be asked to "camp" with your horses at your own
trailers in the staging area. That is similar to going to a
multi-day competitive trail ride or endurance ride. NATRC has a
really good manual for riders that discusses how to trailer camp,
among much other useful information. I think you can buy a copy
without joining NATRC.

In many jurisdictions, MSAR teams are put up for the night at a
near-by rodeo ground, horse campground, or farm. In those cases,
your horses could be put in stalls, or turned out in pens or a
pasture. One thing you can do to enhance your team's utility is
accustom your horses to being turned out together. Some teams
do this by holding trainings somewhere that has a large paddock
or arena, and turning the horses out while the riders do classroom
work or eat lunch or just hang out. Doing this successfully,
without harm to the horses, may require some advance planning and
supervision, to ensure the horses are introduced to one another
without conflict.

Hope this helps,