msar-riders - [MSAR] Insurance etc...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Insurance etc...
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:45:42 -0700 (PDT)

Responding to:
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Susan J. Duke" <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MSAR] insurance
To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Irv,

  I'm in Illinois.  I have discussed all this with my insurance agent
and yes I know what all my policies are and what they say, I am not
confused, nor am I uninformed.  I also know that the IELA applies to the
riders and what all my state statutes say, that's my job to know.  Yes
all my equipment is covered, regardless. No I don't use expensive
equipment to go beatin thru the woods and the creek and the brambles, that
would be silly. I do not board anyone's horse, nor do I have a farm.  Yep,
ole whiskered pointy ears is on my homeowner's and I am not confused.
  Sounds like you should go meet with your legislators to get a better
SAR environment on MSAR in PA, though.  Maybe they aren't aware or are
uninformed.:)

  Susan
  Illinois (and glad to be there)

Hi Susan, Just  a few notes.. and to say hi fellow Illini and to the others!  And some "lighthearted" but serious personal veiws!

I posted some things awhile back on the Illinois Good Sam laws here...As Una mentioned,  you and everyone here may want to check the archives.  There is a wealth of info here.

There is also available to Illinois farm owners a liability sign for horsemen.. you can obtain one of those through the Illinois Horse Council.  The caveat always seems to be on wanton negligence.  And proving  that and harassment is a very tough call be it someone bothering your livestock or person to person as in domestic violence.  Seems if you do not suffer the bruises, the nah, nah, nah type of harassment to even property damages is something you just have to grin and bear  But it is always in PROOF.

A lot of court cases however can be won by what is signed on paper, so having things such as waivers, board agreements, leases, receipts of sale, and the like in writing is a good thing for all horsemen to do.  Regretably the days of good faith and a solid honest handshake are gone by.  Like a horseshow, though, the court cases always depend on the jury or the judge and the matters of LAW.  Jurys unfortuneatley do not always know the law or cases can be exremely complicated and hard to decide becasue of lack ofthis knowledge and time it takes to get through a case thoroughly.  (Just my humble opinion from observatione, tec!)

My personal veiws on cheap equipment. ....cheap vs good, I go for the best quality I can afford.  I just seem to hate having to replace things that break unexpectedly or wear out too fast.  I am not made of money to always be replacing something or another.  If you takle care of our equipment, it will take care of you.  A question, does cheap equipment make you negligent if somethign breaks??

And a word to the wise on the price of a good horse, the price is always deterimined by the seller and buyer... as far as it's value, that is an entirely different matter!  And again, so too can be its INSURED value, or replacement value.. the insurance companies can drive you crazy in determining these and breed to breed, use to use does matter.  (Been a breeder for over 30 years....been there with it and done it.)

Good luck in your ventures.

K. Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois
(Wishing we moved out of state....but after 50 years in the same, well, its time for a change!

PS - has anyone ventured in obtaining the Troxel WESTERN helmet hat??  I have not seen them yet  on the market out here, but am still looking!  I am one of the crazies that prefer the brim!  And am hoping what they finally came up with is something worth a good look.

  • [MSAR] Insurance etc..., Karen Nesbitt, 05/13/2008