msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] West Virginia Search in the Dolly Sods Area

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] West Virginia Search in the Dolly Sods Area
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 03:00:10 +0000

Robert Eversole wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a search currently going on in the Dolly Sods Wilderness
> Area of West Virginia for a lost autistic 18 year old?

Yes. Some news bulletins have been forwarded to SAR-L, and it is all over the
national news. The subject was missed Sunday afternoon and the family sought
help quickly. On Monday evening the local sheriff put out a public appeal for
searchers on Tuesday. Some reports have 300 searchers involved Tuesday.

The terrain sounds not ideal for horses: steep slopes and a lot of brush. On
the other hand, the longer he goes missing the larger the search area may need
to expand and the more miles of trail may need to be searched over and over
again. That *is* a job for horses.

I hope some mounted teams in the region have responded, but if any MSAR-Riders
regulars are out there, we won't be hearing from them until they return. Poor
communications in that area has been reported to be a big management problem
for the search.