msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training/City Searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jeff Ezell <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training/City Searches
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:49:16 -0500

Texas EquuSearch has often used MSAR in the city/suburban areas to look for missing persons (not fleeing suspects). This includes horses, ATVs, mountain bikers (Houston is very flat of course), and some off road motorcyles. They are very useful along waterways, utility right of ways, railroad tracks, parks, etc. It always amazes me how much "open space" there is in a metro area like Houston. MSAR also has the height advantage of looking into backyards fenced with 6' cedar plank fencing as well. It does require a seasoned horse and rider that won't spook in traffic or when that "monster" on a bicyle comes at them on a trail.

Jeff Ezell
Houston

On Tue Oct 9 8:44 , una.smith@att.net sent:

snip...
> If a person is lost in the city would you join in the search?

Yes. However it is unlikely that we would be called. Cities have municipal
police and most of them seem to think New Mexico state SAR resources are for
use only in wilderness. Also, searches in populated places more often than
not involve crimes, and police are better prepared than most SAR volunteers
for those missions. Etc. SAR gets called more often for suburban and urban
searches when the subject is a small child.