msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training/City Searches

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training/City Searches
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:03:22 +0000

Joan Pottinger wrote:
> The reason I ask has to do with a little boy that was lost in Louisville
> several
> months ago and people on this list may remember the story. Unfortunately
> it did
> not have a happy ending. I just wondered if anyone here would have
> searched on
> horseback for him?

It depends largely on the horse. The horse has to be comfortable and safe in
the
urban environment. It also depends on the circumstances of the search. If
it is
likely a body recovery then there is the cadaver issue. Some horses are
*afraid*
of cadavers or something they associate with cadavers and some will panic
from the
odor alone. If the situation frightens the rider then the horse will also
tend to
panic. If it is likely the child is frightened and hiding, that too can
panic an
inexperienced horse. I would not search for a child on horseback unless I
knew
the horse would remain calm when detecting someone in hiding. You can train
for
all of these scenarios.

Una