msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lauri Struve <jabellaboo@yahoo.com>
  • To: Joan Pottinger <j.pottinger@insightbb.com>, Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Training
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 04:26:23 -0700 (PDT)

Joan Pottinger <j.pottinger@insightbb.com> wrote:
What type of conditions will you not ride in?

Speaking for myself only, the only conditions I would not ride in would be ice, when the potential for injury is greatest for horse and rider.  But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't search, it would just be on foot instead of from the saddle.

How far do you go for a rescue?
The farthest our team  travelled was 2.5 hours... it all depends on who calls you out. We did not respond unless called.

Do you search rural, urban, city?
yes. remember, our horses are just a tool in our search arsenal.

If a person is lost in the city would you join in the search?
if called, yes.  But the horse would likely stay home or in the trailer.
I think an important thing to remember is yes we are MSAR, but first and foremost we are SAR... we search if called and that may mean as a ground pounder.

Lauri