msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jeff Ezell <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Training
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:38:08 -0500

Isn't there some type of "license" (approval process) thru the state in GA to participate in SAR? Maybe thru GBI? 404-244-2600

Jeff Ezell
Houston

On Mon Oct 8 12:25 , Una Smith <msar@ibiblio.org> sent:

Joan Pottinger wrote:
>As I said earlier my group is looking to start MSAR.

Does the group have a web presence somewhere? If not, please post its
contact info here. That will help others to contact you to organize any
joint training.

>Would anyone please list for me the things we need to learn for horses
>and people?

This may sound strange, but the first thing you need to learn is what
are the agencies having jurisdiction (AHJs) in your area? Then, what
are their needs? What do they require or need you to learn? Although
in the most general sense the needs are the same everywhere, details
are important. Eg, just last week I mentioned needing off-trail and
off-map navigational skills. Many MSAR responders do need more training
in those skills, but that is not true of everyone, everywhere. In flat
Township & Range lands in agriculture, everything is laid out in tidy
rectangles and sight lines are very long, so navigation is trivial. In
some other areas the terrain is so vertical that off-trail travel is
not feasible. There, mounted responders may need to be very familiar
with the trails but they do not need first-class navigational skills.

Mounted Search and Rescue
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/

MSAR-Riders
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/msar-riders.html