msar-riders - [MSAR] Who seeks what training, where?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Who seeks what training, where?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:05:17 -0400

To recap recent requests for information about training opportunities:

Joan Pottinger, per her intro here a while ago, is in the Louisville
KY area. I have never heard of any MSAR units existing in Kentucky.

Natalie Perry is in northern Indiana. There are several MSAR units in
Indiana (http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/#Indiana) that may be able
to provide good leads.

Gail is in Atlanta and north Georgia. North GA Mounted Patrol offers
training (I don't know in what) and a certification (ditto). A 2004
press release from the governor's office announces the formation of 3
"heavy" urban search and rescue units, hosted in fire departments:
http://www.gov.state.ga.us/press/2004/press358.shtml . That is of
little interest except that it mentions no existing state agency for
search and rescue.

Jeff Ezell wrote:
>Isn't there some type of "license" (approval process) thru the state in
>GA to participate in SAR? Maybe thru GBI?

Not that I am aware of. And a quick web search doesn't return evidence
of this either. Are you thinking of GEMA? They license organizations
but looking through their website I would say they don't consider search
and rescue within their scope except in the context of a large scale
disaster / emergency situation.

Mounted Search and Rescue
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/

MSAR-Riders