msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Screws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Screws
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:55:25 -0700

Well Irv- all of those are good reasons to TEACH your mounts to give to pressure. Whether it be feet caught in a rope or wire, a head under a rope, or a spooky situation you have to give your mount the necessary training to react in a safe manner. Mine aren't perfect with the tied feet yet but they are getting there- and a spook is in place. The first time my gelding got hooked on a trailer he hooked the lead under the spare which was mounted on the side. When I heard the commotion and arrived I found him pulled back as far as he could safely go, eyes wide, but standing his ground and waiting for me to rescue him! Since that time he's hooked himself on other things (not trailers- I'm careful about spares now) and just calmly stood, head still, for a rescuer.

So I agree- a horse will get tangled in anything and then some. But they don't have to react with pulling back if you've replaced that instinct with specific training.

Chris Pennington