msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Screws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <jchuston@earthlink.net>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Screws
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:29:05 -0500

Any fence charger and tape or string system will work.  I have a gel cell 12VDC battery to power the charger separately  from the vehicle.  Some of our members carry push in stakes, I usually find a few trees to run a large diameter poly rope around and then weave the conductor between the strands.  He can see the rope as a barrier and the hot wire reinforces this.  Everything fits in a five gallon bucket, which can be the weather/safety cover for the charger and ground stake as well as being useful as a bucket when empty.  The gel cell is about half the size of a typical car battery and is the kind used for wheel chairs or emergency lights so it has screw terminals on the posts.  It is important to use a 12VDC battery so you can recharge it off a vehicle or a household battery charger.  A 6VDC battery may power the charger but it will cook on a 12VDC charger. I have also seen solar chargers used but you still need a good battery.

Irv Lichtenstein