msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:57:53 -0700

Also on your truck look at transmissions. Your 3/4 ton tranny may not be as stout as the 1 ton.

It's a pretty good tranny on both the Dodge and the Chevy.

Are you going automatic or manual?

Now that's a harder decision. I've always driven manual. And driving a mountain road daily makes the manual a Godsend! BUT driving our units automatic truck makes hauling a breeze AND is much easier on the tranny than the constant shifting sometimes needed in a manual on our narrow dirt mountain roads (which is where we are usually deployed!). The new tranny's seem to be set up to accommodate hauling and many have the added benefit of being able to 'convert' to manual. I haven't been able to FIND a 3/4 or 1 ton with a manual yet so I can test drive it. Here in CA home of the recreational tow-er, most folks do freeway driving and want an auto.

I have found that coming down steep rutted mountain roads that a manual gives better control and saves a LOT of wear on the brakes.

I live at 7000 feet and drive to work at 3000feet daily on a 17% grade. However I would only be using the big truck on very snowy days heading down that- and only occasionally hauling horses that way. However the rest of the hauling would definitely be over mountainous terrain as well- just not quite so steep!!! When I haul our units F350 4x4 with the stock and 4 horses down that grade we are in low all the way. It does fine thankfully!!!

Good luck and have fun spending money!!
Faye

Thanks Faye!! It's been a long time coming! We built a new home several years ago and have had the old one on the market since then. It finally sold!! what a relief- only one mortgage payment now! LOL

P.S. Paul, The oval head was a gift from my parents didn't even know about it until i went to buy my first helmet.

I have an oval too! I didn't know there was a difference until I went to a helmet fitting clinic our local horse group held- many many years ago. A rep from a large tack store brought several brands of helmets up and discussed which ones fit which shape best. If you get the wrong one it can be very uncomfortable! I have found the Troxels fit an oval pretty well!

Thanks for all your advice Faye- much appreciated!
Chris