msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trucks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trucks?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:03:20 -0700

Thanks Everyone! You have all reconfirmed what I have always believed about trucks. But I haven't looked to buy a new one in many years and I thought that perhaps things had changed! I guess I just needed some confirmation that I was on the right track. The issue of a moving animal rather than a static weight has always been a concern of mine and I have told many people not to pull any distance with a 1/2 ton. Seeing an SUV pulling a two horse gives me the shivers.

At least I think we educated this particular salesman a little bit. I gave him a lot of the same reasons you fed back to me and some new facts to think about. (it was a dead give away that he was not knowledgeable about horses when he told us that the "average" horse weighs 3000 pounds.....LOL...we corrected that misconception!)

Now I need to wrap my brain around the sheer SIZE of the newer trucks. Have any of you stood next to a Chevy 2500 Silverado? It's HUGE. I'm tall and the top rail comes almost to my shoulder! I don't even want to think about throwing tack over that rail and into the bed!!!

Thanks again all!
Chris Pennington

(any recommendations on brand/type of three horse trailers? That's also in the works! I usually haul only two beasts at once, and we have a couple of two horse trailers, but we have three horses and in our fire prone area we need one to hold them all - just in case.)