msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Falling safely

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Falling safely
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

My idea of a safe fall is one you walk away from.  I believe that instincts only will help you.  You either have that skill or don't.  To me there is no such thing as a 'safe fall' because the horse is an unpredictable animal and you cannot ever guarantee you will be safe with any practiced fall.  Each situation is different. Just always be thinking of what you would do as you ride if something would happen. EI. Are there horses behind you? Is your horse spooky? When he spooks does he turn to flight or just spin and look? And yes, even..How old are you and what kind of shape are you in?  But that is just MHO

Sincerely

Teri Oliver