msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Falling Safely

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David Skofstad" <dbs54neigh@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Falling Safely
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:09:16 -0600

Una Smith wrote:

One key principle of risk management is the awareness of contributing
factors. All too often after a bad accident we recognize multiple
things done wrong or gone wrong that contributed to the severity of
the accident.

I agree.  My experience in following the investigation of aircraft accidents is that there is almost never a single fatal error.  Almost always there is one mistake in judgement followed by another and then another until a pilot is in a corner he cannot escape from.  I've found the same to be true in equine mishaps.   And wearing a properly fitted, approved helmet is never one of those mistakes.

David Skofstad
dbs54neigh@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.