msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] new group

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] new group
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:35:52 -0700

More re SAR in Iowa (USA)...

Becky,

If you want to train your members using NASAR's curriculum, then
talk to STAR1 (http://www.star1.org/), based in Story County,
Iowa. They use NASAR. Ask them how to arrange for and pay for
an instructor and/or evaluator. Or plan to travel somewhere to
attend a scheduled NASAR class/exam. Perhaps one arranged by
STAR1 for their own members?

If you have someone who is an experienced instructor, you could
train in-house. One source of books, including some instructors'
guides, is ERI International, http://www.eri-intl.com/.

I think it is hard to start any SAR unit with no experienced SAR
responders. And harder still to start an MSAR unit; too many
of your new recruits will be in search of opportunities to ride
and will view the SAR as an interesting novelty "angle".

Finally, remember Keep It Sweet & Simple (KISS). Find out what
you will be expected to do by the authorities in your immediate
area, then in adjacent areas. A new, inexperienced SAR unit has
no business trying to provide mutual aid services on a larger
scale than that. Leave that to the rare experts among experts.

In some respects, New Mexico has mutual aid in place and working
smoothly. We have a coordinated state-wide SAR infrastructure
of volunteer units that provide field teams and individuals who
are trained for SAR mission management tasks, all using a common
Incident Command System. We have a statewide certification that
covers basic SAR skills, and the complete training materials are
online: go to http://www.nmesc.org/pace.htm and see (1) ICS-100
and (2) PACE Study Guide. You can also read the New Mexico SAR
Act, but that won't apply to you in Iowa.

Let us know how things progress!