msar-riders - [MSAR] new group

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Becky" <blorimor@mchsi.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] new group
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:22:57 -0600

I looked through the past year's postings and didn't find exactly what I was looking for (and maybe what I'm looking for isn't out there!)
We are just starting up a new MSAR group (or trying) in southwest Iowa, as we detected a need for this type of group in western Iowa, eastern Nebraska and Northwest Missouri.
What are our first steps? I have been trying to do some research on the internet, and am not finding a lot on starting up - there's quite a bit on equipment, etc., but I'm looking for more! We have several EMTs, EMT instructors and First Responders in the group who can train the rest, but what about certification?
Do we need to incorporate?
What about government grants to help set up and purchase equipment and training?
I keep seeing a lot of abbreviated titles of things, but no definitions.
I guess we really need someone to take us under their wing and help guide us through our early stages of growth.
Is there anyone out there who can - and will - help me?
Please, send me an email if you can offer any help!

Thanks so much
Becky Lorimor
SWISH MSAR
(South West Iowa Saddle Horse) MSAR