msar-riders - [MSAR] NAIS and microchips

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Susan J. Duke" <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] NAIS and microchips
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:20:55 -0800 (PST)

Dear Alicia Nation,

Microchips are not used for tracking, they can only be read when scanned with a hand-held device that resembles a calculator when it passed over the aniamls fur in the location of the microchip a few inches away from the animal. The "calculator"-like screen then displays the number on the microchip.  To get the animals name, owners name, and home address of record that number has to be typed into a computer database, or you have to call an 800 number to have them read it to you over the phone.  They are used for animal identification only, to prove ownership (and thus the location of the animals home of record and/or veterniarian.) They are like an inventory tag that is affixed to the animal.  On dogs they are placed in the loose skin above the shoulder blades, behind the scruff of the neck so it won't be under the collar.  I don't know here they put them on horses.

The chip that is able to "track" that you are thinking of are RFID Radio Frequency chips that when a radio transmitter send a signal, they respond back with the identifier.  Those are used for things like warehouse inventories so that workers don't have to count boxes and walk around and write down how many cartons of which parts are in the warehouse.  Often those are stuck on the boxes or in the packages, similar to the theft-deterrent sticker devices on music cds at the retail store that will set off the alarm system by the exit door unless they have deactivated them at the cash register.

For real-time location tracking of movement, moment by moment, you would have to use a GPS device and satellites.

I hope this clears up the chip issue for you a little.

Thank You,

Susan
Central Illinois

  • [MSAR] NAIS and microchips, Susan J. Duke, 02/24/2007