msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Orange jackets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Orange jackets
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 14:10:53 -0500

The white may be cheaper than colors. Chevy WT (work truck) level interiors
come in white outside but the high visibility colors require special orders.
All our police vehicles (with a few exceptions) are now white with decals
and striping instead of two tone paint. Penn Dot used to use a school bus
yellow but a lot of their new units are white and only have a stylized logo
on the doors. My township uses white roofs and dark green for trucks, the
trash units have yellow packer bodies on green chassis. The police cars are
white with narrow yellow and wide green horizontal stripes.

Most of the fire apparatus is white over red (some black over red, white,
blue, tan, dark green, school bus yellow, etc) but with a wide reflective
white stripe.

The utility people (electric and gas) are switching to white with blue
stripes and chevrons on the rear as they replace equipment from dark green
and tan base colors. The phone (Verizon) and cable (Comcast) both use white
with black stripes. One of the biggest road builders in the area uses black
with gold letters and the next uses an orange with black lettering. And of
course there is Asplundh the tree cutters who have a unique orange
trademark.

Slime green is used by police, fire police and municipal road crew employees
and some contractors. I have only seen airport vehicles painted in it
lately and they have been military, the civilians' tend to yellow or
red/orange checkerboard.

A good source for vests and other protective gear is Mifflin Valley in PA.
They seem to have the public safety market locked up in the region and the
prices are very favorable compared to Galls and similar. They advertise in
Pennsylvania Fireman and should search under Mifflin Valley.

We have gone to a light grey T or sweatshirt with a patch on the left breast
and a high visibility vest over riding clothes. This allows members to buy
dual purpose clothes and then still look uniform by putting the vest over
top. The vests have side panels as well as front and back with yellow and
reflective material on the Velcro straps to increase visibility. The Velcro
will break away if you get caught on a branch. They also smooth out your
pockets and such if you are wearing a hunting vest underneath.