msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Orange jackets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Orange jackets
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:45:19 -0800

Una's suggestion on useing a vest is very practical. We at Kokosing use the vest in all four seasons. Also, the vest is less expensive than a raincoat and your group can be outifitted uniformaly at a fraction of the cost. Our vests also has silver reflective tape and thus is appropriate for night riding.

Chuck

This is where we are headed as well. A vest is cheaper and more flexible than a jacket in winter work in our area. We must dress in layers due to the highly fluctuating temps and a jacket could be easily too hot. We have some vests but are in the process of changing over to a different material. A few years ago I did a large extended search to try to find vests that were cloth mesh (temp control again) but had the correct number and placement of pockets for essential gear and mounted use. It was difficult to say the least and the best I could do was find custom made vests at almost $150 each. That's a little more than we were thinking of spending on vests. Would love to hear what kinds of vests others are using and how they are working for your group.

Chris Pennington

Thanks,
Chris Pennington