msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Risk

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Risk
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:51:35 -0700

From: "Pennbo" <pennbo@bbv.net>
The work we
do does have inherent risks. We do all we can to minimize those risks.
The risks for each geographic region are different. It's best to prepare
for the risks you can reasonably expect to face in your area. In my area
narrow steep trails, cliffs, ledges...are all part of the expected terrain.
Chris Pennington

I agree, Chris. My operational and close mutual aid area also commonly has the more hazardous steep mountain trails. Risk management is an important factor. But if you train and increase your capabilities and confidence dealing with gradually more challenging situations, what once was perceived as "can't safely do that" might well become an acceptable risk because your personal comfort level has changed.

For example, the rider trying jumping the first time doesn't start with the 6 foot fence, but starts low and moves up until horse and rider limits are found. One horse-rider combination might stop at 2 feet, another might go to 4 feet. The same rider might do better on a different horse, or the horse might do better with a different rider. But you still work your way up when learning something more challenging, to build confidence and experience, starting with a solid foundation in training to minimize risk as you increase the level of challenge.

A critical factor in mount and rider being prepared to respond to more challenging environments is having experience and confidence riding in those environments. Otherwise the rider is likely focused on riding safely, not on the search, and may become part of the problem instead of part of the solution. Good MSAR units identify where they are likely to respond for mutual aid, and go train in any environments that aren't also common in their own operational area. And sometimes that team will have some folks who can respond to X, but not to Y, and the limitation might be due to the horse, the rider, or both.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
www.ceoates.com/msar