msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: porleslie@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:19:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
>Una Smith wrote:
>I would like to revisit this topic from a few weeks ago, and
>hear what others think about Chris' post, copied below. It is
>very relevant to standards, in that the underlying question
>is: should we define one very specific but arbitrary test for
>all MSAR to pass, or should we define an abstract performance
>objective and leave it to each user to prescribe how to meet
>the performance objective?

This raises a fundamental question about MSAR standards that needs
to be addressed before we proceed much further. Should our standards
be abstract and leave the means of assessing these standards to
individual users or be more prescriptive about specific performance
tasks. This trend needs to be consistent throughout all MSAR standards.
Personally, I favor more abstract standards with suggestions
about real world ways to asses them where appropriate. Examples
might be turning around between parked vehicles or opening and
closing gates as a demonstration of lateral movement. Users would
be free to choose situations appropriate for their area for a
demonstration of real world skills. we might consider following the
standards
documents with a training guide of various ways to achieve and asses these
skills.

Sincerely,
Porter
Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web,
free AOL Mail and more.