msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR - Montana Horses need evacuation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR - Montana Horses need evacuation
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:27:10 -0700

Karen, if you don't know how to deal with evac'ing frightened horses then you should not respond to situations that call for it. We are all responsible for knowing our own limitations- and strengths as well. I believe we've established here that the owner's evacuation plan is reasonable and appropriate.

Just to clarify a bit - the original post says clearly that he has 130 head out of 1500 in the breed worldwide. In that area of the country 130 head isn't all that unusual - having them be approx 1/10 of a breed's population is.

I personally own 12 equines and it would be a monumental procedure for me to evacuate any of them in case of an emergency such as fire. nThat is a far cry from 1000 or more head to do.
Please, PLEASE, find out how to evac your animals in an emergency and practice it now. Emergencies do not give advance warning that allows us to 'work out the kinks' in time. If you need help/suggestions about how to work with your herd so that you COULD load and evac them in an emergency I am sure that many of us on this list would be willing to help you.

Chris Pennington