msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:13:32 -0400

When I first started in SAR around 1979 the difference between a trained
searcher and a spontaneous searcher was an ID card and knowing the mission
commander's name. Everything was OJT and develop the techniques as you went
along. By 86 we had management courses, trackers, and even a start at a
state wide organization.

This time around we waited a year after deciding to start again to do
assessments, planning, and talking to officials. Spent six months doing
paperwork and planning a training program. Another six months doing training
and organization. When we go operational (hopefully very soon)we will have
more operational expertise in house than any other group has to date in the
area.