msar-riders - [MSAR] Critical Mass for Organization

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Critical Mass for Organization
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:08:54 -0400

To conduct search operations you need a certain number of people with a
skills mix. Depending on the type of unit the number may vary. Depending
on your response rate (percentage of members responding on a call) you
generally need 10 or so on scene and perhaps as many as 30 trained responder
members. But just maintaining enough people to do training and
administration is necessary. As MSAR we must also consider the logistics of
response. Where a ground pounder just walks out the door and a dog handler
loads the dog into a car crate we have to hitch up, stock up and load the
horse, and check the route for low bridges, high crossings, and restricted
bridges.

What do you consider the critical mass for your organization? Has there been
a change based on activity level? Is it easier to recruit with lots of
missions, moderate missions, or few missions?

We will be going operational with 15, and some infrastructure in terms of
radios and support from our county EOC/EMA as a mutual aid organization
(dispatch, 9-1-1 phones, field command vehicle), not the primary responder
since search is usually dumped on the volunteer local fire company. We will
be an independent agency, not affiliated with law enforcement or other
government function.