msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Being a spontaneous volunteer/novice
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:17:04 -0400

Irv,
Thanks for the information. However, since you have given direct reference to the MSAR team I command, I must request that you retract your original "more operational experience in house than any other group has to date" statement, as it will take several years for your new organization to match the operational, logistical, and planning experience that TROTSAR has accumulated while continually serving the mid-Atlantic region, as a public service volunteer equestrian unit since 1992. Until your team becomes operational, it has been the TROTSAR Mounted Team who has and continues to be called by the PA State Police to perform Mounted SAR function for the Southern tier region of your State, which includes your 5 county region. If you want to limited your original comment to MSAR teams within the immediate 5 counties that have no established MSAR resource than I withdraw my request.
Additionally, please keep in mind that Chesapeake Search and Rescue Dogs and the Susquehanna SAR [both Maryland based] teams are located less than an hour from the greater Philadelphia area and they have the highest SAR standards and experience of any SAR team in the mid-Atlantic region, registered (federal) USAR Task force teams excluded..
I realize that you are proud of your team's accomplishments, but please use caution when making comparisons to other (current) operational SAR teams.

Tomi'
Commander
TROTSAR Mounted Team
www.trotsar.org

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN wrote:

There are no other mounted in the immediate metropolitan area (5 counties),
TROT to the south being the next in that direction and Middle Creek to the
west. I remember bringing my horse down to train TROT in the beginning.
Middle Creek lacks the formal organization required in this area. The
other organization is primarily ground and while apparently well funded is
not responsive and no longer participates in regional or statewide SAR
organizations.
When we go operational (hopefully very soon)we will have

more operational expertise in house than any other group has to date in the

area.